Keeping a good diet and exercising regularly is essential in maintaining a healthy body weight, but what do you do if you want to jump start a diet, shed extra pounds in a short amount of time or just flat out recover after a week of poor eating? When it comes to diet and nutrition, lifestyle changes are key. No fad diet, starving streak or over-compulsive exercise plan will take the place of what it takes months to achieve. However, when you’re in a bind, it helps to know some fast and easy ways to maximize your efforts and burn fat faster.
- Do Cardio In The Morning- A trick used by bodybuilders to shed extra weight around competitions, “fasted cardio” is a way to get your body to burn extra fat stores by maximizing on the low insulin levels that occur after you’ve been sleeping. By doing cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, you’re essentially forcing it to break down fat and protein vs. the food you just ate. High intensity interval training for 15-20 minutes or low-to-moderate intensity steady-state cardio is recommended. However, this should not take the place of your daily workout.
- Spice Up Your Life- Spice up your life and stay away from salt to keep your body burning more fat and flushing out waste. Spices like cayenne pepper, cinnamon, cumin, ginseng, ginger and even black pepper have the power to boost metabolism, aid in detox and even provide an amazing abundance of antioxidants your body needs to fight off the day. Not sure how to incorporate them? Try sprinkling cayenne and black pepper in your morning eggs and see if you don’t feel that morning rev 😉
- Eat As Raw As Possible- Rather than spending hundreds of dollars and depleting your body’s energy stores with sugared up juice cleanses, eat foods that are clean and raw. It is a big misconception that your body needs a juice diet to rid itself from unwanted toxins. Eating raw food allows your system to naturally cleanse itself by breaking from processed foods. Examples of raw foods include; fruits, veggies, whole grains, untouched proteins, oats, nuts, herbs and spices.
- Decrease The Amount of Carbohydrates– If you’re active, it is almost impossible to do a no-carb diet for very long. However, decreasing the amount of carbohydrates in your diet and even staying clear of them for a day or two, will help you reduce bloat from gluten and other allergens. If you must incorporate carbs, make sure they are whole grain and eaten with protein. Eating a carb and protein together allows your muscle to absorb the protein faster and keeps you full for longer.
- Start Your Day With Lemon Water– This is one of those weight loss tips that is not a myth. Lemons are acidic, but once they’re metabolized they have an alkalizing effect which aids in detoxification. Drinking a warm cup of water with squeezed lemons is recommended in the morning to help start the digestive process. You should also stay hydrated throughout the day to keep your body in flush mode.
These tips are safe and effective to incorporate when trying to shed extra fat and maintain a healthy/fit lifestyle.
(Photo: WebMD.com, Article written by: Erica Kogan)